Monday, September 29, 2008

Learning to drive

I can vividly remember learning how to drive!
My dad drove me over to the City in Orange County.
(Now called the city walk, I think)
It was brand new and not too busy.
I had to drive up and down the aisles in dads' old yellow truck.
It had 3 on the column (stick shift)
I had to learn to drive a stick
before I could drive an automatic.
Learning to use the clutch-utch-utch.
It was a little bumpy at first but finally...
I could ease out the clutch and shift into the
correct gear without too much trouble.
Then, my dad would make me park.
I had to back up and down the rows.
Park in a space or parallel park over and over again.
We drove to The City every Sunday after Sunday School.
After about a month,
dad let me drive home from church.
My three brothers ( 2 older 1 younger)
jumped out of the car and walked home instead!
It was so sweet!
And no,
I DID NOT
crash
or hit the curb
or run a red light
or anything else they were sure I would do!

No comments: