Thursday, September 11, 2008

Let's go for a ride!

We were a family of seven.
Money was tight.
My parents were creative.
Gasoline was CHEAP!
We took a lot of rides, sometimes with no destination.
My dad would just say " Let's go for a ride"
and off we'd go!
It was always an adventure.
We went to the grand opening of the John Wayne Airport.
Now known as the Santa Ana or Orange co. airport.
We went to the beach, up and down the coast.
We went to the mountains and the desert.
We drove all the way to Corona (before the fast freeway route)
We drove around in an old blue station wagon.
It had a bench seat in the front to seat 3,
a bench seat in the middle to seat 3 more,
AND
it had a flip up 2 person seat in the far back
that faced backwards!!
But,
we usually had extra friends with us and
we would pack that old blue station wagon
with 12 people most of the time.
And,
We always had a great time.
Sometimes,
I tell my kids
"let's go for a ride!"
even though gasoline is now
VERY EXPENSIVE.
There is nothing as sweet!




1 comment:

heidi said...

Shawna--you are speaking right to my heart. I grew up the same way. We always took drives with little money but lots of big dreams of travel.